Here are Back2Basics collections from today’s news items
B2B #1: From news- NGT to hear pleas via videoconference
National Green Tribunal
- The National Green Tribunal has been established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- It draws inspiration from India’s constitutional provision of Article 21, which assures the citizens of India the right to a healthy environment.
- It aims for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to the environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- It has Original Jurisdiction on matters of “substantial question relating to environment” and & “damage to the environment due to specific activity” (such as pollution).
- It follows principles of Natural Justice
B2B #2: From news- Proposed DNA bank will not store data permanently
DNA Based Technology (Use and Regulation) Bill, 2017
- DNA technology is being increasingly relied upon in investigations of crime, identification of unidentified bodies, or in determining parentage.
- It seeks to establish regulatory institutions and standards for DNA testing, and supervise the activities of all laboratories authorised to carry out such tests.
- It prohibits the collection of any “bodily substance” from an arrested individual (for the purposes of a DNA test) without his/her consent, except if the individual is arrested for certain specific offences.
- The penalty for misuse of data remains a prison term of up to three years and a fine up to Rs 1 lakh, a reference to a minimum prison term of one month has been removed.
- The Bill seeks to set up two new institutions — a DNA Profiling Board and a DNA Data Bank.
- The Board, with 11 members, is supposed to be the regulatory authority that will grant accreditation to DNA laboratories and lay down guidelines, standards and procedures for their functioning.
- A national databank of DNA profiles is proposed to be set up, along with regional databanks in every state.
Here’s a Factoid to brush up your concepts
Name : East Asian Summit
Brief Intro : The East Asia Summit (EAS) is a forum held annually by leaders of, initially, 16 countries in the East Asian, Southeast Asian and South Asian regions. Membership expanded to 18 countries including the United States and Russia at the Sixth EAS in 2011.
Objective : It is formed to promote the objectives of regional peace, security, and prosperity. It has played an indicative role in the strategic, geopolitical and economic evolution of East Asia.
Type : Summit/ Conference
Category : Diplomacy
Year : 2016
Importance (wr. Prelims) : High
Place : Laos