Here are Back2Basics collections from today’s news items
B2B #1: From news- India votes against draft decision on chemical weapons use at OPCW meet
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
- OPCW is an intergovernmental organization and the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention, which entered into force on 29 April 1997
- The OPCW, with its 193 member states, has its seat in The Hague, Netherlands, and oversees the global endeavor for the permanent and verifiable elimination of chemical weapons
- The organization promotes and verifies the adherence to the Chemical Weapons Convention, which prohibits the use of chemical weapons and requires their destruction
- Verification consists both of evaluation of declarations by member states and onsite inspections
- The OPCW has the power to say whether chemical weapons were used in an attack it has investigated
- The organization was awarded the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize “for its extensive efforts to eliminate chemical weapons”
National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) Bangalore
- Established in 1925, NIMHANS, the apex center for mental health and neuroscience education in the country
- It operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The institute was inaugurated on 27 December 1974, establishing it as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.
- NIMHANS is a multidisciplinary institute for patient care and academic pursuit in the frontier area of mental health and neurosciences.
B2B #3: From news- ICSSR’s new vision: make research relevant to policy
Indian Council of Social Science
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) was established in the year of 1969 by the Government of India to promote research in social sciences in the country.
- Its one of the important function is to advise the Government of India on all matters pertaining to social science research as may be referred to it from time to time, and take such measures generally as may be necessary from time to time to promote social science research and its utilization.
Here’s a Factoid to brush up your concepts
Name : Dawn Mission Extended at Ceres
Details : NASA has authorized a second extension of the Dawn mission at Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. NASA’s Dawn mission will study the asteroid Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres, celestial bodies believed to have accreted early in the history of the solar system. The mission will characterize the early solar system and the processes that dominated its formation.
Agency : NASA