Tikdams are smart hacks which help you arrive at the right answer with basic knowledge. Broadly speaking, there are 2 types:
- Elimination Tikdams: Extrapolate your basic knowledge to eliminate options which appear out of context. Zero down on 2 choices and then mark the question as per your risk appetite
- Estimation Tikdams: Read the question well and work out the answer from within the options – Most of the times UPSC plays with words or embeds clues within the question. A smart aspirant figures them out!
Note: Please comment your responses to questions in the comment section. It will help you in assessing yourself.
Q.1) With reference to the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It is an institute under the Ministry of Finance.
2. Chairman of the NITI Aayaog is an ex-officio chairman of the institute.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
a) Both 1 and 2
b) 2 only
c) Neither 1 nor 2
d) 1 only
Inspired by: ‘Mega health plan may cost Rs. 1 lakh cr. a year’
Q.2) The aim of the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) is to provide social security to
b) Senior Citizens
c) SCs and STs
d) BPL card holders
Inspired by: [op-ed snap] Limited succour: Budget 2018, Senior Citizens
Q.3) Consider the following statements regarding different deficit numbers:
1. The revenue deficit broadly measures the extent of borrowings used for revenue expenditure
2. Fiscal deficit measures the overall borrowing to finance both revenue account deficit as well as capital account deficit
3. Effective revenue deficit measures the revenue deficit minus grants to states for the creation of capital assets
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1, 2 and 3
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1 and 2 only
Inspired by: Plan on revenue deficit seen as shift towards consumption spending
Q.4) The term ‘Anti-profiteering’ sometimes seen in news, is related to:
a) WTO subsidies
b) Defence procurements
c) Goods and service tax
d) New hydrocarbon policy
Q.5) The REITs/InvITs, related to the Real Estate Sector(often seen in news), are regulated by the
b) India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd.
c) None is correct
Inspired by: SEBI gets teeth to act against exchanges, new market outfits
Q.6) The Partition of Bengal made by Lord Curzon in 1905 lasted until
a) the First World War when Indian troops were needed by the British and the partition was ended.
b) King George V abrogated Curzon’s Act at the Royal Darbar in Delhi in 1911
c) Gandhiji launched his Civil Disobedience Movement
d) the Partition of India, in 1947 when East Bengal became East Pakistan
Q.7) The 1929 Session of Indian, National Congress is of significance in the history of the Freedom Movement because the
a) attainmentof SelfGovernment was declared as the objective of the Congress
b) attainment of Poorna Swaraj Was adopted as the goal of the Congress
c) NonCooperation Movement was launched
d) decision to participate in the Round Table Conference in London was taken
Q.8) With reference to the famous Sattriya dance, consider the following statements :
1. Sattriya is a combination of music, dance and drama.
2. It is a centuriesold living tradition of Vaishnavites of Assam.
3. It is based on classical Ragas and Talas of devotional songs composed by Tulsidas, Kabir and Mirabai.
Which of the statements given above is /are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 2 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
1. Daily newscards have been enriched with back2basics and note2students – Make notes daily
2. Liked Tikdams? Join our Flagship TS which helps you perfect this approach – Flagship Prelims for IAS 2018
3. For attempting previous Prelims Daily Questions – Click here