From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Shumang Leela
Mains level : NA
This newscard is an excerpt from the original article published in TH.
- Shumang Leela is a unique traditional form of theatre in Manipur.
- The tradition is believed to be descended from Lai Haraoba, a ritual of the Meitei community of Manipur.
Types of this dance
Shumang Leela is of two types:
- Nupa Shumang Leela: It performed only by men. Here the roles of women are all played by men, called Nupi Shabis.
- Nupi Shumang Leela: It performed only by women and the roles of men are played by women.
- The plays serve as a medium to spread awareness among people of social, political and economic issues. Shumang Leelas may also discuss moral values, unity and integrity.
- This theatre form has for long been trying to strengthen the bond of brotherhood and friendship among various communities in the State.
Significance of the art
- In a society marked by heteronormativity, the gender-bending nature of Shumang Leela makes it a unique art form that is fraught with complexity.
- The men who take up female roles or vice versa are highly appreciated and laughed at.
- The traditional theatre form has preserved its original form, and its aim to inform and entertain has remained unchanged.
Crack Prelims 2023! Talk to our Rankers
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more