From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Project ELLORA
Mains level : Not Much
Microsoft’s Project ELLORA is helping small languages like Gondi, Mundari become eloquent for the digital world.
- To bring ‘rare’ Indian languages online, Microsoft launched the Project ELLORA or Enabling Low Resource Languages in 2015.
- Under the project, researchers are building digital resources of the languages.
- They say that their purpose is to preserve a language for posterity so that users of these languages “can participate and interact in the digital world.”
How is ELLORA creating a language dataset?
- The researchers are mapping out resources, including printed literature, to create a dataset to train their AI model.
- The team is also working with these communities on the project.
- By involving the community in the data collection process, researchers hope to create a dataset that is both accurate and culturally relevant.
Crack Prelims 2023! Talk to our Rankers
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more