From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Bell of Faith’ scheme
Mains level : Old age security
The ‘Bell of Faith’ scheme will now be implemented for senior citizens staying alone in villages. Scheme to cover 250 houses in city in the first phase.
What is the ‘Bell of Faith’ scheme all about?
- It is a safety project conceived under Kerala’s Community Policing Scheme.
- It will help elderly citizens attract the attention of their neighbours using a loud, remote-controlled alarm in emergencies.
- It has been under implementation in Kerala since 2018.
- A welfare fund of ₹3.5 crore sanctioned by the State government would be used for the initiative that gives preference to those staying alone in their houses.
- In the first phase, around 250 houses selected by the local Janamaithri scheme coordinators will be covered under the scheme
Significance of the Project:
- It sets an example for community participation to ensure the well-being and safety of the elderly.
- It can be of great support for the aged during the COVID-19 pandemic as many live in fear for their health.
- The electronic bells, installed free of cost with wireless control mechanism, will help senior citizens in quickly seeking the support of neighbours during emergencies.