From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CBUD App
Mains level : NA
Prime Minister has launched the ‘Call Before u Dig’ (CBuD) app, to facilitate coordination between excavation agencies and underground utility owners to prevent damage to utilities due to digging.
Call Before u Dig (CBUD)
- The app is an initiative of the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications.
- Uncoordinated digging and excavation causes damage to underlying assets like optical fibre cables, leading to losses of about Rs 3,000 crore every year.
- The app aims to prevent damage to utilities due to digging.
- It will save potential business loss and minimise discomfort to citizens due to reduced disruption in essential services like road, telecom, water, gas and electricity.
How does the app work?
- The CBuD app connects excavators and asset owners through SMS/Email notifications and click-to-call.
- It ensures planned excavations in the country while ensuring the safety of underground assets.
- Excavating companies can inquire about existing subsurface utilities before starting excavation work.
- Utility owners can find out about impending work at the location.
Are you an IAS Worthy Aspirant? Get a reality check with the All India Smash UPSC Scholarship Test
Get upto 100% Scholarship | 900 Registration till now | Only 100 Slots Left