From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Energy Island
Mains level : Energy Island Concept
The Danish government has approved a plan to build an artificial island in the North Sea as part of its effort to switch to green energy.
The Energy Island concept provides an innovative solution for countries like India grappled with the scarcity of land required for RE projects!
What is Energy Island?
- An energy island is based on a platform that serves as a hub for electricity generation from surrounding offshore wind farms.
- The idea is to connect and distribute power between Denmark and neighbouring countries.
What is the Danish project?
- Denmark has already entered into agreements with the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium to begin the joint analysis of connections in the energy island.
- The project is being called the largest construction project to be undertaken in Denmark’s history with an estimated cost of DKK 210 billion.
- In June 2020, the Danish Parliament decided to initiate the construction of two energy islands, which will export power to mainland Denmark and neighbouring countries.
- One of these islands will be located in the North Sea and the second island, called the island of Bornholm, will be located in the Baltic Sea.
- The artificial island will be located about 80 km into the North Sea and the majority of it will be owned by the Danish government.