From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Digital Quality of Life Index
Mains level : Digital divide in India
India ranks among the lowest in the world in terms of Internet quality, according to the Digital Quality of Life Report.
Note the following aspects:
1)Organisation publishing the report
2)India’s rank and its comparison with neighbors
3)Rankers at the top
Digital Quality of Life Index
- It is global research released by online privacy solutions provider SurfShark.
- It releases a report on the quality of digital wellbeing in 85 countries (81% of the global population), in terms of e-infrastructure.
India’s ranking: Hits and Misses
- India occupies 79th place, ranking below countries including Guatemala and Sri Lanka.
- India makes it into the top 10 in terms of Internet affordability. With a ranking of nine, it outperforms countries such as the U.K., the U.S. and China.
- Additionally, when it comes to e-government, India occupies the 15th place globally, just below countries like New Zealand and Italy.
- However, at position 78, India’s Internet quality is one of the lowest across 85 countries analysed in the research.
- The report found that seven of the 10 countries with the highest digital quality of life are in Europe, with Denmark leading among 85 countries.
- Canada stands out as a country with the highest digital quality of life in the Americas, while Japan takes the leading position in Asia.
- Among the countries in Africa, people in South Africa enjoy the highest quality of digital lives whereas New Zealand leads in Oceania, outperforming Australia in various digital areas.