From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Police Commissionerate System
Mains level : Read the attached story
The UP Cabinet has approved the Commissionerate system of policing for state capital Lucknow, and Noida.
The Police Commissionerate System
- The system gives more responsibilities, including magisterial powers, to IPS officers of Inspector General of Police (IG) rank posted as commissioners.
- Under the 7th Schedule of the Constitution, ‘Police’ is under the State list, meaning individual states typically legislate and exercise control over this subject.
- In the arrangement in force at the district level, a ‘dual system’ of control exists, in which the Superintendent of Police (SP) has to work with the District Magistrate (DM) for supervising police administration.
- At the metropolitan level, many states have replaced the dual system with the commissionerate system, as it is supposed to allow for faster decision-making to solve complex urban-centric issues.
Additional powers to Police
- In this system, the Commissioner of Police (CP) is the head of a unified police command structure, is responsible for the force in the city, and is accountable to the state government.
- The office also has magisterial powers, including those related to regulation, control, and licensing.
- The CP is drawn from the Deputy Inspector General rank or above, and is assisted by Special/Joint/Additional/Deputy Commissioners.
Where is the system in force?
- Previously, only four cities had the system: Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai.
- However, with rapid urbanisation, states felt an increasing need to replicate the system in more places.
- The sixth National Police Commission report, which was released in 1983, recommended the introduction of a police Commissionerate system in cities with a population of 5 lakh and above, as well as in places having special conditions.
- Over the years, it has been extended to numerous cities, including Delhi, Pune, Bangalore and Ahmedabad. By January 2016, 53 cities had this system, a PRS study said.
- Depending on its success, the policing system may gradually be implemented in other districts as well.