From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : G7 countries
Mains level : Paper 3- G7 to consider rapid response mechanism to counter misinformation
G7 considering rapid response mechanism
- The G7 members are Britain, the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan and their combined gross domestic product is about $40 trillion – a little less than half of the global economy.
- G7 will look at a proposal to build a rapid response mechanism to counter Russian propaganda and disinformation.
- Speaking ahead of a G7 foreign ministers’ meeting in London British Foreign Secretary said the United Kingdom was getting the G7 to come together with a rapid rebuttal mechanism to counter Russian misinformation.
- Britain has identified Russia as the biggest threat to its security though it views China as its greatest long-term challenge, militarily, economically and technologically.
Britain to engage more in Indo-Pacific
- Britain has invited India, Australia and South Korea to attend this week’s meeting and the full leaders’ summit in June.
- There was no concrete proposal as yet about Britain joining Quad.
- Britain has been looking at ways to engage more in the Indo-Pacific.