From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pokkali Rice
Mains level : Coastal farming and various hurdles
Farmers from West Bengal are betting on the Pokkali variety of rice from Kerala to tide over a crisis-like situation created by severe seawater incursion into paddy fields in vast areas of the Sundarbans after the cyclone Amphan.
Try this MCQ:
Q.Which of the following is the striking feature of the Pokkali Rice recently seen in the news?
a) It is bio-fortified rice for treating malnutrition
b) It is a saltwater resistant variety of rice
c) It is healthy rice used to treat diabetes
d) None of these
- The Pokkali variety of rice is known for its saltwater resistance and flourishes in the rice paddies of coastal Alappuzha, Ernakulam and Thrissur districts.
- The uniqueness of the rice has brought it the Geographical Indication (GI) tag and is the subject of continuing research.
- It had been in the news because of its uniqueness and also because a group of people in Kerala have been trying to revive the cultivation of the rice variety in the State.
Why introduce in Sunderbans?
- About 80% of the rice paddies in the Sundarbans faced the problem of the saltwater incursion.
- If the Pokkali experiment succeeds, it would be a good step to turn around the fortunes of the farmers.