From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UN Commission on Status of Women, ECOSOC
Mains level : Not Much
India has been elected as a member of the United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women (UN-CSW), a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Try this PYQ:
Q.Democracy’s superior virtue lies in the fact that it calls into activity:
(a) The intelligence and character of ordinary men and women
(b) The methods for strengthening executive leadership
(c) A superior individual with dynamism and vision
(d) A band of dedicated party workers
UN Commission on Status of Women
- The Commission on the Status of Women (CSW or UNCSW) is a functional commission of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), one of the main organs within the United Nations.
- CSW has been described as the UN organ promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Every year, representatives gather at UN Headquarters in New York to evaluate progress gender equality, identify challenges, set global standards and formulate concrete policies to promote gender equality and advancement of women worldwide.
- India will be a member of United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women for four years, 2021 to ‘25.
- This year is the 25th anniversary of the famous Beijing World Conference on Women (1995).