From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UN Statistical Commission
Mains level : Not Much
Central idea: India has been elected to the UN Statistical Commission for a four-year term.
About United Nations Statistical Commission
- The UN Statistical Commission is the topmost body of the global statistical system, bringing together the Chief Statisticians from member states worldwide.
- Responsibilities of the Commission include setting statistical standards and developing concepts and methods, implemented at national and international levels.
- The Commission was established in 1947 and is headquartered in New York.
- The United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) is overseen by the Commission.
- The Commission is a Functional Commission of the UN Economic and Social Council.
- There are 24 member states of the Commission.
- Members are elected by the Economic and Social Council based on equitable geographical distribution, including:
- African States (5)
- Asian States (4)
- Eastern European States (4)
- Latin American and Caribbean States (4)
- Western European and other States (7)