From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ICAO Ranking
Mains level : Aviation safety in India
In the rankings by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), India is now at the 48th position, a “quantum leap” from the 102nd rank it had in 2018.
- Under the ICAO standards, the Effective Implementation (EI) of six areas were assessed. They are LEG, ORG, PEL, OPS, AIR and AGA.
- LEG is Primary Aviation Legislation and Specific Operating Regulations;
- ORG is Civil Aviation Organisation;
- PEL is Personnel Licensing and Training;
- OPS is Aircraft Operations;
- AIR is Airworthiness of Aircraft; and
- AGA is Aerodrome and Ground Aid.
How has India fared in ICAO ranking?
- With a score of 85.49 per cent each, India and Georgia are at the 48th position.
- Neighbouring Pakistan is at the 100th spot with a score of 70.39 per cent.
- The rankings are topped by Singapore with a score of 99.69 per cent.
- It is followed by the UAE at the second position with a score of 98.8 per cent and the Republic of Korea is at the third place (98.24 per cent).
- Others in the top ten are France (4th; 96.42 per cent), Iceland (5th; 95.73 per cent), Australia (6th; 95.04 per cent), Canada (7th; 94.95 per cent), Brazil (8th; 94.72 per cent), Ireland (9th; 94.6 per cent) and Chile (10th; 93.9 per cent).
What is ICAO?
- The ICAO is a specialized agency of the UN that coordinates the principles and techniques of international air navigation.
- It fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure safe and orderly growth.
- ICAO headquarters are located in the Quartier International of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Functions of ICAO
- Standardization: The ICAO Council adopts standards and recommended practices concerning air navigation, its infrastructure, flight inspection, prevention of unlawful interference, and facilitation of border-crossing procedures etc.
- Investigation standards: ICAO defines the protocols for air accident investigation that are followed by transport safety authorities in countries signatory to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Click and get your FREE Copy of CURRENT AFFAIRS Micro Notes
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more