From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : MIEWS, TOP
Mains level : Ensuring fair prices for TOP produce
The Union Food Processing Ministry has launched a new Market Intelligence and Early Warning System (MIEWS) portal to monitor the prices of TOP crops – Tomato, Onion and Potato.
- MIEWS portal is the first-of-its-kind platform for ‘real-time monitoring’ of prices of tomato, onion and potato.
- The system has been designed to provide advisories to farmers to avoid cyclical production and issue early warnings in situations of gluts.
- It will simultaneously generate alerts for price intervention under the terms of Operation Greens (OG) scheme.
- It will generate early alerts in case there is going to be a major change in the prices of these crops.
- This will help in planning and timely intervention for price stabilization. The portal can be accessed at this link- http://miews.nafed-india.com.
Utility of MIEWS
The MIEWS would:
- Monitor the supply situation for timely market intervention,
- Assist in rapid response during times of glut to move the produce from glut regions to regions with deficit supply.
- Provide inputs for export/import decision making.
- In the budget speech of Union Budget 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood” to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs #), agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.
- Accordingly, the Ministry has formulated a scheme for integrated development of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) value chain.
- Under the OG Scheme, during a glut situation, the evacuation of surplus production from producing areas to consumption centres will be undertaken in the following cases:
- When the price falls below the average market price at the time of harvest in the preceding 3 years.
- When the price falls more than 50 percent in comparison to the previous year’s market price at the time of harvest.
- When the price falls below the benchmark, if any, fixed by either the state or central government for a stipulated period.
For additional readings, navigate to: