From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NGT
Mains level : NGT and its jurisdiction
- The Supreme Court has agreed to examine a legal question whether the National Green Tribunal (NGT), established to deal with cases pertaining to environmental issues has the power to take cognizance of a matter on its own.
About National Green Tribunal
- The NGT has been established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- It draws inspiration from India’s constitutional provision of Article 21, which assures the citizens of India the right to a healthy environment.
- It aims for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to the environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- It has Original Jurisdiction on matters of “substantial question relating to environment” and & “damage to the environment due to specific activity” (such as pollution).
- It follows principles of Natural Justice.