From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nyay Kaushal Centre
Mains level : Transparent and accessible judicial proceedings
CJI has inaugurated the first-ever e-resource centre and virtual court for traffic and transport to enable speedy justice for litigants, called ‘Nyay Kaushal’, at Nagpur.
Must read edition:
Nyay Kaushal Centre
- It is a first of its kind e-resource centre in India that will facilitate electronic filing of cases in the Supreme Court, High Courts and district courts across the country.
- It is meant to be a step at mitigating various inequalities, being connected to the Supreme Court, the High Courts and the Taluka Courts.
- It will provide the easiest way of filing court matters by utilising technology. It will provide benefits in saving time, avoidance of exertion, travelling long distances, and a saving in costs.
- The virtual court will be working from Katol in Nagpur district.
- The virtual court can deal with all traffic challan cases from every corner of Maharashtra online.
- It will be possible for the litigants to pay the fine and get the traffic challan case disposed of with the click of a button on a smartphone or a computer.
Why need such a mechanism?
- The biggest problem that came with the pandemic was that access to justice became conditional on access to technology.
- This has ended up creating a divide between the ones who can afford technology and ones who cannot.
- With the aid of virtual courts, our system of justice does not suffer and the rule of law continues to be maintained.