From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Orunudoi Scheme
Mains level : Women empowerment moves
Ahead of the Assam Assembly elections, the Orunudoi scheme, with women as its primary target group, is the most popular.
There can be confusion from the name of the scheme.
- Through Orunodoi — announced in the 2020-21 Budget — monthly assistance of Rs 830 is transferred to women members of marginalised families of Assam.
- On account of being a DBT, or a Direct Benefit Transfer scheme, the money is credited directly to the bank account of the woman head of a family because they are primary caretakers of the household.
- The scheme gives a choice to the poor and needy households on how they want to spend their money.
- The applicant, a woman, has to be a permanent resident of Assam, whose composite household income should be less than Rs 2 lakh per annum.
- Families with specially-abled members and divorced/widowed/separated /unmarried women are prioritized.
- Poorer families, those without the National Food Security Act (NFSA) or ration cards, are also given priority.