From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Abanindranath Tagore
Mains level : Not Much
Year-long celebrations marking 150 years of Abanindranath Tagore have been kicked off in Kolkata.
Abanindranath Tagore (1871-1951)
- Tagore CIE was the principal artist and creator of the “Indian Society of Oriental Art”.
- A nephew of Rabindranath Tagore and a decade younger to the poet, he helped shape modern Indian art and was the creator of the iconic ‘Bharat Mata’ painting.
- He was also the first major exponent of Swadeshi values in Indian art, thereby finding the influential Bengal school of art, which led to the development of modern Indian painting.
- He was also a noted writer, particularly for children.
- Tagore sought to modernize Mughal, Rajput styles to counter the influence of Western models of art, as taught in art schools under the British Raj.
- Along with other artists from the Bengal school of art, Tagore advocated in favor of a nationalistic Indian art derived from Indian art history, drawing inspiration from the Ajanta Caves.
Q. Which among the following event happened earliest? (CSP 2018)
(a) Swami Dayanand established Arya Samaj.
(b) Dinabandhu Mitra wrote Neeldarpan.
(c) Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay wrote Anandmath.
(d) Satyendranath Tagore became the first India to succeed in the Indian Civil Services Examination.
Answer this PYQ in the comment box: