From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : DILRMP
Mains level : Land records management
Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj has recently held a workshop on Digital India Land Record Modernization Programme (DILRMP).
- The DILRMP was previously known as the National Land Record Modernization Programme (NLRMP).
- It was launched in 2008 with the purpose to digitize and modernizing land records and developing a centralized land record management system.
- The DILRMP is the amalgamation of two projects:
- Computerization of Land Records (CLR)
- Strengthening of Revenue Administration and Updating of Land Records (SRA & ULR)
- The district will be taken as the unit of implementation, where all activities under the programme will converge.
Components of DILRMP
The DILRMP has 3 major components
- Computerization of land record
- Computerization of Registration
Key features: Unique Land Parcel Identification Numbers
- It is just like the Aadhar Number of land parcels.
- A unique ID based on Geo-coordinates of the parcels is generated and assigned to the plots.
- This has been introduced to share the computerized digital land record data among different States/Sectors and a uniform system of assigning a unique ID to the land parcel across the country.
The citizen is expected to benefit from DILRMP in one or more of the following ways;
- Real-time land ownership records will be available to the citizen
- Property owners will have free access to their records without any compromise in regard to the confidentiality of the information
- Abolition of stamp papers and payment of stamp duty and registration fees through banks, etc. will also reduce interface with the Registration machinery
- These records will be tamper-proof
- This method will permit e-linkages to credit facilities