From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : IMEF
Mains level : Various energy related alliances and partnerships
In the joint working group meeting of the Sustainable Growth Pillar of the India-US partnership, an India Energy Modeling Forum was launched.
Note the following things about IEMF:
1. It is a bilateral forum.
2. It is not associated with any International Agency say UN, IEA, IAEA etc.
3.On March15 last year, the idea was incepted and only a formal workshop was organized on IEMF (it wasn’t launched).
UPSC can puzzle you along these 3 points in a statements-based MCQ.
India Energy Modeling Forum (IEMF)
- The IEMF seeks to provide a platform for policy makers to study important energy and environmental issues and ensure induction of modelling and analysis in informed decision making process.
- The Forum aims to improve cooperation and coordination between modeling teams, the GoI, knowledge partners and think-tanks, build capacity of Indian institutions, and identify issues for joint modeling activities and future areas of research.
What is Energy Modelling?
- Energy modeling or energy system modeling is the process of building computer models of energy systems in order to analyze them.
- There exists energy modelling forums in different parts of the World.
- Such models often employ scenario analysis to investigate different assumptions about the technical and economic conditions at play.
- Outputs may include the system feasibility, greenhouse gas emissions, cumulative financial costs, natural resource use, and energy efficiency of the system under investigation.
- Governments maintain national energy models for energy policy development.
Outcomes of the forum
- Discussions on energy modelling in India and the world explored how energy modelling can play an important role in decision-making.
- The panelists laid focus on bridging the rural-urban divide and factoring in energy pressures from the informal economy within models.
- Deliberations included a spotlight on how the impact of the evolving character of India’s cities, industries and especially the transport sector should be included in the any India-centric models.
- The shift towards electric mobility, an increasing emphasis on mainstreaming of renewable energy options and overarching environmental concerns were also stated as key factors for determining India’s energy future.