From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Blue Flag Beaches
Mains level : Coastal conservation
The Environment Minister has virtually hoisted the international blue flags in 8 beaches across the country.
Try this PYQ:
Q. At one of the places in India, if you stand on the seashore and watch the sea, you will find that the seawater recedes from the shoreline a few kilometers and comes back to the shore, twice a day, and you can actually walk on the seafloor when the water recedes. This unique phenomenon is seen at:
About Blue Flag Certification
- This Certification is accorded by an international agency “Foundation for Environment Education, Denmark” based on 33 stringent criteria in four major heads i.e.
- Environmental Education and Information,
- Bathing Water Quality,
- Environment Management and Conservation and
- Safety and Services on the beaches.
- It started in France in 1985 and has been implemented in Europe since 1987, and in areas outside Europe since 2001 when South Africa joined.
- Japan and South Korea are the only countries in South and southeastern Asia to have Blue Flag beaches.
- Spain tops the list with 566 such beaches; Greece and France follow with 515 and 395, respectively.
Which are the 8 beaches?
The beaches where the International Blue Flags were hoisted are:
- Kappad (Kerala)
- Shivrajpur (Gujarat)
- Ghoghla (Diu)
- Kasarkod and
- Padubidri (Karnataka)
- Rushikonda (Andhra Pradesh)
- Golden (Odisha) and
- Radhanagar (Andaman & Nicobar Islands)