From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Natural Gas
Mains level : Natural gas as an alternative fuel
PM will today dedicate the Kochi – Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline to the nation.
Try this PYQ:
Q. Consider the following statements:
- Natural gas occurs in the Gondwana beds.
- Mica occurs in abundance in Kodarma.
- Dharwars are famous for petroleum.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
Kochi – Mangaluru Pipeline
- The 450 km long pipeline has been built by GAIL (India) Ltd.
- It has a transportation capacity of 12 Million Metric Standard Cubic Metres per day.
- It will carry natural gas from the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Regasification Terminal at Kochi (Kerala) to Mangaluru (Dakshina Kannada district, Karnataka).
- It will pass through Ernakulam, Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kannur and Kasaragod districts.
- The event marks an important milestone towards the creation of ‘One Nation One Gas Grid’.
- The pipeline will supply environment-friendly and affordable fuel in the form of Piped Natural Gas (PNG) to households and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) to the transportation sector.
- It will also supply Natural Gas to commercial and industrial units across the districts along the pipeline.
- Consumption of cleaner fuel will help in improving air quality by curbing air pollution.
Back2Basics: Natural Gas
- Natural gas is a fossil fuel source consisting primarily of methane.
- It is the cleanest among all the available fossil fuels.
- It is used as a feedstock in the manufacture of fertilizers, plastics and other commercially important organic chemicals as well as used as a fuel for electricity generation, heating purpose in industrial and commercial units.
- Natural gas is also used for cooking in domestic households and a transportation fuel for vehicles.