From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Maitri Bridge
Mains level : Recent trends in India-Bangladesh ties
PM will inaugurate ‘Maitri Setu’ between India and Bangladesh tomorrow.
- The bridge ‘Maitri Setu’ has been built over the Feni River which flows between the Indian boundary in Tripura State and Bangladesh.
- The 1.9 Km long bridge joins Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
- The construction was taken up by the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd.
Try this PYQ:
Q. Recently, which of the following States has explored the possibility of constructing an artificial inland port to be connected to the sea by a long navigational channel?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
Significance of the bridge
- With this inauguration, Tripura is set to become the ‘Gateway of North East’ with access to Chittagong Port of Bangladesh, which is just 80 kms from Sabroom.
- The name ‘Maitri Setu’ symbolizes growing bilateral relations and friendly ties between India and Bangladesh.
About Feni River
- Feni is a river in southeastern Bangladesh and Tripura.
- It is a trans-boundary river with an ongoing dispute about water rights.
- It originates in the South Tripura district and flows through Sabroom town and then enters Bangladesh.
- The question of sharing the waters of the river between India and Pakistan was first discussed in 1958.
Other associated projects
Sabroom Check Post
- PM will lay the foundation stone for setting up an Integrated Check Post at Sabroom.
- It will help ease the movement of goods and passengers between the two countries provide new market opportunities for products of North-East states and assist the seamless movement of passengers to and from India and Bangladesh.
- The project is being taken up by the Land Ports Authority of India.