From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nagpur Orange
Mains level : Export promotion of Nagpur Oranges
The first consignment of Nagpur oranges was flagged off to Dubai from Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
- Nagpur orange is rustic and pockmarked exterior which is sweet and has juicy pulp.
- It gives the city of Nagpur its pseudonym Orange City.
- It oranges blossom during the Monsoon season and are ready to be harvested from the month of December.
- The Geographical Indication was accorded to the Nagpur Orange by the registrar of GIs in India and is effective as of April 2014.
The best breed
- Nagpur mandarin in one of the best mandarins in the world. Production of this fruit crop in the central and western part of India is increasing every year.
- Mrig crop (monsoon blossom), which matures in February – March, has great potential for export since arrivals of mandarin fruit in international market are less during this period.
- In the whole region only one variety of Nagpur Mandarin is grown.