From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UNESCO heritages in India
Mains level : Not Much
The Union Ministry for Culture has launched the National List of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) of India.
Various art forms (either tangible or intangible) are hotspots for Prelims. We can expect a direct description based question. For example, a question based on Manipuri Sankirtana was asked in CSP 2017.
National List of ICH
Following UNESCO’s 2003 Convention for Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage, this list has been classified into five broad domains in which intangible cultural heritage is manifested:
- Oral traditions and expressions, including language as a vehicle of the intangible cultural heritage
- Performing arts
- Social practices, rituals and festive events
- Knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe
- Traditional craftsmanship
Why need such a list?
- India houses a repository of unique ICH traditions, 13 of which have also been recognized by UNESCO as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- The National ICH List is an attempt to recognize the diversity of Indian culture embedded in its intangible heritage.
- The list aims to raise awareness about the various intangible cultural heritage elements from different states of India at the national and international level and ensure their protection.
- This initiative is also a part of the Vision 2024 of the Ministry of Culture.
Pls go through this link for complete details of 13 ICH : https://www.indiaculture.nic.in/national-list-intangible-cultural-heritage-ich