From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Migrant Information System (NMIS)
Mains level : Inter-state workers migration
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has developed an online Dashboard – National Migrant Information System (NMIS).
Did you notice, the peculiarity of the NMIS? The portal is developed and maintained by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) not Ministry of Labour & employment or Labour bureau.
- The NMIS aims to capture the information regarding the movement of migrants and facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across States.
- The key data pertaining to the persons migrating has been standardized for uploading such as name, age, mobile no., originating and destination district, date of travel etc., which States are already collecting.
- States will be able to visualize how many people are going out from where and how many are reaching destination States.
- The mobile numbers of people can be used for contact tracing and movement monitoring during COVID-19.
- The portal helps maintain a central repository on migrant workers and help in speedy inter-State communication/co-ordination to facilitate their smooth movement to native places.
- It has additional advantages like contact tracing, which may be useful in overall COVID-19 response work.