From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Data andAnalytics Platform (NDAP)
Mains level : Not Much
NITI Aayog has launched the NDAP for open public use.
Note: This portal has much useful data. We can use these to substantiate our answers in mains exam.
What is NDAP?
- The platform aims to democratize access to public government data by making data accessible, interoperable, interactive, and available on a user-friendly platform.
- It hosts foundational datasets from various government agencies, presents them coherently, and provides tools for analytics and visualization.
- NDAP follows a use-case-based approach to ensure that the datasets hosted on the platform are tailored to the needs of data users from government, academia, journalism, civil society, and the private sector.
- All datasets are standardized to a common schema, which makes it easy to merge datasets and do cross-sectoral analysis.
Types of datasets available
- Internal & External Affairs
- Agriculture, Fisheries and Animal Husbandry
- Socio-Economic development
- Power & Natural Resources
- Human Resources Development
- Science and Technology
- Consumer Affairs
- Culture and Tourism
Why need such data?
- The rise of data and digital technologies are rapidly transforming economies and societies, with enormous implications for governments’ daily operations.
- NDAP is a critical milestone – which aims to aid India’s progress by promoting data-driven disclosure, decision making and ensuring the availability of data connecting till the last mile.