From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Indian innovation index
Mains level : Innovation ecosystem in India
NITI Aayog is set to release the second edition of the India Innovation Index 2020 tomorrow.
*Statewise rankings will be updated tomorrow.
Updated on 21st Jan, Thursday.
India Innovation Index (III)
- The release of the second edition of the index—the first was launched in October 2019—demonstrates the Government’s continued commitment towards transforming the country into an innovation-driven economy.
- The index attempts to create an extensive framework for the continual evaluation of the innovation environment of 29 states and seven UTs in India.
- It intends to perform the following three functions-
- Ranking of states and UTs based on their index scores
- Recognizing opportunities and challenges, and
- Assisting in tailoring governmental policies to foster innovation
- The India Innovation Index 2019 is calculated as the average of the scores of its two dimensions – Enablers and Performance.
- The states have been bifurcated into three categories: major states, north-east and hill states, and union territories/city-states/small states.
- The study examines the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories.
- The aim is to create a holistic tool which can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing policies.