From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Transport and Marketing Assistance Scheme
Mains level : Export promotion schemes in India
The Centre has revised “Transport and Marketing Assistance” (TMA) scheme for Specified Agriculture Products’.
What is the TMA Scheme?
- The TMA Scheme was introduced in 2019 to provide assistance for the international component of freight, to mitigate the disadvantage of higher freight costs faced by the Indian exporters of agriculture products.
- All exporters, duly registered with relevant Export Promotion Council as per Foreign Trade Policy, of eligible agriculture products, shall be covered under this scheme.
- The assistance, at notified rates, will be available for the export of eligible agriculture products to the permissible countries, as specified from time to time.
- Assistance would be provided in cash through a direct bank transfer as part reimbursement of freight paid.
Following major changes have been made in the revised scheme:
- Dairy products, which were not covered under the earlier scheme, will be eligible for assistance under the revised scheme.
- Rates of assistance have been increased, by 50% for exports by sea and by 100% for exports by air.