From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nuakhai
Mains level : Not Much
In Odisha, Nuakhai, an important agrarian festival in the State is being celebrated today.
- Nuakhai or is an agricultural festival mainly observed by people of Western Odisha and Southern Chhattisgarh in India.
- It is observed to welcome the new rice of the season.
- As per the customary practice, people offer the new grains of crops to the deities before their own consumption.
- According to the calendar it is observed on Panchami tithi (the fifth day) of the lunar fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada or Bhadraba (August–September), the day after the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
- This is the most important social festival of Western Odisha and adjoining areas of Simdega in Jharkhand, where the culture of Western Odisha is much predominant.
- It is also a festival of social cohesion as all the members of the family come together to celebrate Nuakhai.
Try this PYQ:
Consider the following pairs:
- Chapchar Kut Festival — Mizoram
- Khongjom Parba ballad — Manipur
- Thang-Ta Dance — Sikkim
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2
(c) 1 and 2
(d) 2 and 3
Post your answers here.