From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Erra Matti Dibbalu
Mains level : NA
Citizens join hands to preserve the geological marvel of Erra Matti Dibbalu in Visakhapatnam.
What is Erra Matti Dibbalu?
- Located between Visakhapatnam and Bheemunipatnam, the Erra Matti Dibbalu are rare red sand dunes that are a reminder of the million years of geological processes.
- Its towering red sand dunes with patches of greenery is like a meandering maze.
- The width of the dunes, which runs for five kilometres along the coast, varies from 200 metres to two kilometres.
- It is listed among the 34 notified National Geological Heritage Monument Sites of India by the Geological Survey of India.
(Don’t they resemble to Ravines of Chambal?)
- Studies indicate that the area was tectonically active between 2.5 million years and 11,000 years ago.
- The sediments are mainly derived from the Khondalite rocks from the hinterland of the Eastern Ghats.
- Geologically these red sand dune sediments particularly hold significance.
- They are the result of the combined effect of numerous factors including global climatic changes, sea-level variations, monsoonal variability and as a result serves as valuable paleo-environment indicators.