From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PVTGs ,PM-PVTG Development Mission
Mains level : Read the attached story
- Prime Minister launched Pradhan Mantri PVTG Development Mission worth Rs 24,000 crore for the development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) during.
PM PVTGS Development Mission
- Objective: This Rs 24,000-crore initiative is dedicated to the holistic development of PVTGs.
- Focus Areas: It aims to provide essential amenities like road and telecom connectivity, electricity, housing, clean water, sanitation, improved education, healthcare, nutrition, and sustainable livelihoods.
- Multi-Ministerial Approach: Multiple ministries will collaborate to implement development projects, including Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana, and Jal Jeevan Mission.
Who are Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)?
- Unique Characteristics: PVTGs are a subset of tribal groups in India characterized by primitive traits, geographical isolation, low literacy, zero to negative population growth rate, and economic backwardness.
- Dependency on Hunting: These tribes often rely on hunting for sustenance and employ pre-agricultural technology.
- Historical Background: The distinction for Primitive Tribal Groups (PTGs) was introduced in 1973 by the Dhebar Commission.
- Expansion: In 1975, the Centre identified 52 tribal groups as PTGs, and this list expanded by 23 groups in 1993.
- Renaming as PVTGs: In 2006, these groups were renamed as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
Current status of PVTGs
- Population and Distribution: India is home to 2.8 million PVTG members, belonging to 75 tribes, residing in 22,544 villages across 220 districts in 18 states and Union Territories.
- Statewise Population: States with significant PVTG populations include Odisha (866,000), Madhya Pradesh (609,000), and Andhra Pradesh (including Telangana) (539,000).
- Largest PVTG: The largest PVTG is the Saura community in Odisha, numbering 535,000.
Try this PYQ:
Q.Consider the following statements about Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) in India:
- PVTGs reside in 18 States and one Union Territory.
- A stagnant or declining population is one of the criteria for determining PVTG status.
- There are 95 PVTGs officially notified in the country so far.
- Irular and Konda Reddi tribes are included in the list of PVTGs.
Which of the statements given above are correct? (CSP 2019)
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) 1, 3 and 4