From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pyramid of Djoser
Mains level : NA
Last week, Egypt reopened the Pyramid of Djoser, the first pyramid ever built, after a 14-year restoration. The structure is believed to be designed by Imhotep, described by some as the first architect of the world.
The Pyramid of Djoser
- The 4,700-year-old pyramid is 60 metres tall, and consists of six stacked steps over a burial shaft tomb 28 metres deep and seven metres wide.
- It is located at the Saqqara archaeological site, 24 km southwest of Cairo, outside the royal capital of Memphis. A complex of halls and courts is located around the pyramid.
- It is the world’s oldest monumental stone building.
- Today a UNESCO world heritage site, the pyramid was constructed during the era of Pharaoh Djoser, the second king of Ancient Egypt’s Third Dynasty (2650 BC– 2575 BC).
- The Pharaoh’s 19-year reign saw significant technical innovations in stone architecture.
- The pyramid’s architect, Imhotep, was also a physician and astrologer, and served as Djoser’s minister.