From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Rail adukku pathiram
Mains level : NA
The rail adukku pathiram a traditional set of kitchen utensils in Tamil Nadu has become the gathered attention of all over the past few days.
The traditional ‘rail adukku pathiram’ set of utensils are very unique in itself. However, one must note that it does NOT carry any GI tag and is completely out of use. Still, there is a possibility of it being asked in match the pair type questions asking – Q) Which among the following artefacts from Tamil Nadu carries a GI Tag?
Rail adukku pathiram
- The rail adukku pathiram consists of 14 vessels of different sizes, neatly placed in a compact manner inside the largest container.
- The vessels were earlier used by families to carry groceries and cook food during train journeys.
- These vessels were used to cook food for a mini-wedding. The interesting aspect is the compact size and easy to carry.
- It has two vessels to cook vegetables, a sippal plate to boil rice, a frying pan, a sombu, a bronze pot to carry water and vessels of varying sizes to cook food.
- Many in Tamil Nadu had forgotten about the existence of these multi-layered vessels until a video surfaced online recently.