From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary
Mains level : Not Much
A rare Black Panther was spotted in the Netravali WLS in South Goa.
There are many WLS and National Park in the tiny state of Goa. Unlike others, they rarely find any mention in news. Here a quick revision for you.
Make sure to locate them on map.
Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary,
Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary,
Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary,
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary,
Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary,
Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary,
Anshi National Park.
- Black Panther or Black Leopard is a color variant of spotted Indian leopards, reported from densely forested areas of south India, mostly from the state of Karnataka.
- A black panther is the melanistic colour variant of any Panthera, particularly of the leopard (P. pardus) in Asia and Africa, and the jaguar (P. onca) in the Americas.
- They are also known as the ghost of the forest.
About Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary
- Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary is located in South-Eastern Goa, India.
- It constitutes one of the vital corridors of the Western Ghats and covers an area of about 211 sq.km.
- Netravali or Neturli is an important tributary of River Zuari, which originates in the sanctuary.
- Forests mostly consist of moist deciduous vegetation interspersed with evergreen and semi-evergreen habitat; there are also two all-season waterfalls in the sanctuary.
- The Gaur or Indian Bison, Malabar giant squirrel, four-horned antelope or chousingha, leopard, black sloth bear along with a host of other predators and herbivores find home in the sanctuary.