From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Chenkurinji
Mains level : Not Much
This newscard is an excerpt from the original article published in The Hindu.
- Chenkurinji (Gluta travancorica) is a species endemic to the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve.
- Belonging to the Anacardiaceae family, the tree was once abundant in the hills on the southern parts of the Aryankavu Pass in Kerala’s Kollam district.
- The Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary derives its name Chenkurinji (Gluta travancorica), a species endemic to the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve.
Why in news?
- It is very susceptible to climate change and the present condition of the species is quite bad with low regeneration performance.
- Though there are seemingly enough number of the tree, most are not productive, generating a negative trend in its population.
- The majority of the trees is old with poor flowering and fruiting rates.
- Though the flowering usually happens in January, of late, the species has reported a tendency to extend the process due to climate change.
Significance of Chenkurinji
- It is reported to have medicinal properties and is used to lower blood pressure and treat arthritis.