From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Septemeranthus
Mains level : NA
A new genus of a parasitic flowering plant has recently been discovered from the Nicobar group of islands.
- The genus Septemeranthus grows on the plant species Horsfieldia glabra (Blume) Warb.
- The parasitic flowering plants have a modified root structure spread on the stem of the tree and are anchored inside the bark of the host tree.
- It has a distinct vegetative morphology, inflorescence architecture and floral characters.
- The leaves of the plant are heart-shaped with a very long tip and the ovary,fruit and seeds are ‘urceolate’ (earthen pot-shaped).
- Birds consume viscous seeds of this new genus and seeds have potential of pseudo viviparous germination that deposit on the leaves and branches of their same plant which is already attached to host plants.
- They need a host tree or shrub in order to thrive and exhibit a worldwide distribution in tropical as well as temperate habitats.
- They are important in forest ecology, pathology and medicine.
- They play an important role as they provide food for frugivorous birds.
Try this PYQ from CSP 2019:
Q.Recently, there was a growing awareness in our country about the importance of Himalayan nettle (Girardinia diversifolia) because it is found to be a sustainable source of
(a) anti-malarial drug
(c) pulp for paper industry
(d) textile fibre
Post your answers here.