From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Teja Chilli
Mains level : Not Much
The burgeoning demand for the popular Teja variety of red chilli, famous for its culinary, medicinal and other wide-ranging uses, in the export market is proving to be a boon for the Telangana Agriculture Market.
- Teja or S17 is one of the hottest varieties of red chillies produced in India. (GI tag not accorded yet.)
- The chilli is known and liked across the country for its fierce hot flavor and rich aroma.
- Southern India is the main region of Teja or S17 red chilli production.
- It has a capsaicin content of 0.50-0.70% making it more pungent and spicy.
- The huge demand for Oleoresin, a natural chilli extract, is mainly driving the export of Teja variety to various spice processing industries in several Asian countries.
Where it is produced?
- Khammam district is the largest producer of Teja variety of red chilli.
- It is the leading exporter of the pungent fruit.
- The Mudigonda-based Oleoresin extraction firm of a Chinese company is engaged in export of the by product to its clients.
Trade significance of this chilli
- Teja variety of red chilli is being exported to China, Bangladesh and a few other south Asian countries from Khammam mainly through the Chennai port.
- The export of Teja variety of red chilli is expected to grow from the present ₹2000 crore per annum to ₹2500 crore next year.
Crack Prelims 2023! Talk to our Rankers
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more