From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SAROD-Ports
Mains level : Not Much
Union Ministry of Shipping has e-launched ‘SAROD-Ports’ (Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes – Ports).
Try this MCQ:
Q.The term SAROD is sometimes seen in the news with context to governance is related to:
(a) Disputes Redressal
(c) Sustainable Development
(d) None of the above
SAROD-Ports are established under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 with the following objectives:
- Affordable and timely resolution of disputes in a fair manner
- Enrichment of Dispute Resolution Mechanism with the panel of technical experts as arbitrators.
- They consist of members from the Indian Ports Association (IPA) and Indian Private Ports and Terminals Association (IPTTA).
- They will advise and assist in settlement of disputes through arbitrations in the maritime sector, including ports and shipping sector in Major Port Trusts, Non-major Ports, including private ports, jetties, terminals and harbours.
- It will also cover disputes between granting authority and Licensee/Concessionaire /Contractor.