From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : 2-DG
Mains level : Paper 3- Drug developed by DRDO approved for Covid treatment
About the drug
- DRDO’s new anti-Covid oral drug, 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG), was recently granted emergency use approval by the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI).
- 2-DG halts the spread of COVID-19 inside the body cells.
- Clinical trial results have shown that this molecule helps in faster recovery of hospitalised patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence.
- In efficacy trends, the patients treated with 2-DG showed faster symptomatic cure than Standard of Care (SoC) on various endpoints.
- A significantly favourable trend (2.5 days difference) was seen in terms of the median time to achieving normalisation of specific vital signs parameters when compared to SoC.
How 2-DG reduces dependence on oxygen
- The 2 DG drug, like glucose, spreads through the body, reaches the virus-infected cells and prevents virus growth by stopping viral synthesis and destroys the protein’s energy production.
- The drug also works on virus infection spread into lungs which help us to decrease patients dependability on oxygen.