From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Adjournment motion
Mains level : Devices of parliamentary control
Ahead of the Monsoon session of Parliament, a political party from Punjab has decided to move an adjournment motion in the Lok Sabha against the government on the three controversial farm laws.
Revise all the devices of parliamentary proceedings from your Polity Book.
Recalling the three laws
- Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020
- Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, 2020
- Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020
What is Adjournment Motion?
- Adjournment motion is aimed to draw the attention of the House to a recent matter of urgent public importance having serious consequences.
- The matter proposed to be raised should be of such a character that something very grave which affects the whole country and its security has happened.
- The House is required to pay its attention immediately by interrupting the normal business of the House.
- It can introduce only in the Lok Sabha.
- It involves an element of censure against the government, therefore Rajya Sabha is not permitted to make use of this device.
- In the event of an adjournment motion being adopted, the House automatically stands adjourned.
How it is held?
- It is regarded as an extraordinary device as it interrupts the normal business of the House.
- It needs the support of 50 members to be admitted.
- The notice of an adjournment motion is required to be given on the prescribed form.
- A member can give not more than one notice for any one sitting.
- The discussion on this motion should last for not less than two hours and thirty minutes.
Restrictions to the motion
The right to move a motion for an adjournment of the business of the House is subject to the following restrictions. It should:
- Not raise a question of privilege.
- Not revive discussion on a matter that has been discussed in the same session.
- Not deal with any matter that is under adjudication of court.
- Not raise any question that can be raised on a distinct motion.
Answer this PYQ in the comment box:
Q.The Parliament of India exercises control over the functions of the Council of Ministers through:
- Adjournment motion
- Question hour
- Supplementary questions
Select the correct answer using the code given below: (CSP 2017)
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 2 and 3 only