From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pravaig Field Pack
Mains level : Not Much
A Bengaluru-based venture has produced a rugged tactical battery that it is now planning to sell to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) forces in Europe.
Pravaig Field Pack
- It is a heavy-duty power bank that is portable and weighs 14 kilograms.
- It is of great utility to the digitally connected modern military and Special Forces personnel who have to operate in high-risk zones while using gadgets that require constant power back-up.
- These batteries are designed, engineered and made in India.
- The field pack can be used to charge a MacBook 60 times.
Significance of Pravaig
- This supply marks a major shift in the defense landscape of India — a tipping point in the reversal of India’s high technology defense industry, from users to developers, from importers to exporters.
- The field pack can be used to energize a military person’s field duties and it can be used to deploy remote sensors.
- A powerful tactical battery can be used even to operate larger military equipment such as drones and it can even help coordinate tactical operations which involve multiple weapons systems.