From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), WHO
Mains level : Not Much
The World Health Assembly (WHA) took the historic decision to form a global treaty to “strengthen pandemic prevention, preparedness and response”.
Significance of the launch
- The launch of putting together this accord is the second such initiative taken under Article 19.
- The first initiative was the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), which came into effect in 2005.
- The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) is the world’s first modern-day global public health treaty.
- It is also the first treaty negotiated under the auspices of the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The treaty entered into force in February 2005.
- It was signed by 168 of the 192 WHO member states and more than 180 WHO member states have become parties to the convention.
Highlights of the FCTC
The FCTC provides an internationally coordinated response to combating the tobacco epidemic and sets out specific steps for governments addressing tobacco use, including:
- Adopting tax and price measures to reduce tobacco consumption
- Banning tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship
- Creating smoke-free work and public spaces
- Putting prominent health warnings on tobacco packages
- Combating illicit trade in tobacco products