UPSC Syllabus for GS Paper 1 with Infographics [250 marks]
The Civil Services Main examination is designed to test the academic talent of the aspirant, also his/her ability to present his/ her knowledge in a clear and coherent manner.
The Main Examination is intended to assess the overall intellectual traits and depth of understanding of candidates rather than merely the range of their information and memory.
It is recommended that the aspirant is aware of the broad topics of the syllabus for easy recall while reading up a book or a newspaper.
#1. Indian & World History
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors and contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
Civilsdaily.com focuses on Heritage and Culture - Stories @History
#2. Topics related to Indian Society, Issues and Resolutions
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
#3. Indian & World Geography
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.
- Geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent)
- Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
Civilsdaily.com focuses on Current Geography News - Stories @Geography
NOTE: The part of Paper 1 which deals with Indian Society, Issues etc. is the most neglected one. By and large, this part is dynamic in nature and can be easily dealt with if you are a regular at News Reading.
We would recommend 2 things:
- Try to be regular with The Hindu or Indian Express. Choose any and develop your own understanding of events and their inter-connections. If you are just starting out, you should read this post first.
- The Civilsdaily’s Android App is designed in a way that you get the most relevant Newsbytes in ~5 minutes in key point summaries. Use it judiciously along with your daily study schedule.
Anything else that we can help with? Let us know!