From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Moon dust for sheilding Earth
Mains level : Global Warming
The article introduces the idea of using Moon dust to cool the Earth and explores the feasibility and potential risks associated with the proposal.
Moonlight cooling of Earth
- The idea of using lunar dust to cool the Earth’s temperature is based on a natural phenomenon called “moonlight cooling.”
- When the Moon’s surface reflects the sun’s rays, it cools down rapidly after sunset.
- Scientists believe that a thin layer of lunar dust could be used to create a similar effect on the Earth’s surface.
- The proposal suggests launching a spacecraft to the Moon to collect dust particles, which would then be transported to the Earth’s atmosphere and released.
Feasibility of the move
- This is not a new idea. In fact, it has been proposed before as a way to combat global warming, and several studies have been conducted to explore its feasibility.
- One study published in the journal Earth’s Future estimated that the technique could reduce the Earth’s temperature by 1.5 degrees Celsius, which is a significant amount in the context of climate change.
Risks and Drawbacks
- Health concerns: The dust could harm the environment or respiratory health if it is not properly controlled.
- Threats to aviation: The particles are abrasive and could damage aircraft engines or other machinery if they were to fall to the ground.
- Feasibility and cost: Collecting enough dust to make a significant impact on the Earth’s temperature would require a significant investment of resources, including launching multiple spacecraft to the Moon.
Frankenstein’s Monster Analogy
Attempt UPSC 2024 Smash Scholarship Test | FLAT* 100% OFF on UPSC Foundation & Mentorship programs
Get your Rs 10,000 worth of UPSC Strategic Package for FREE | PDFs, Zoom session, Tests, & Mentorship