From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Environmental Performance Index
Mains level : Western anti-India lobby
India has objected to a report, called the EPI, 2022, that places the country last (along with Nigeria) on a list of 180 countries on managing climate change, environmental health, and ecosystem vitality.
Environmental Performance Index
- The report is prepared by researchers at the Yale and Columbia universities.
- It provides a data-driven summary of the state of sustainability around the world.
- Using 40 performance indicators across 11 issue categories, the EPI ranks 180 countries on climate change performance, environmental health, and ecosystem vitality.
- These indicators provide a gauge at a national scale of how close countries are to established environmental policy targets.
- The EPI offers a scorecard that highlights leaders and laggards in environmental performance and provides practical guidance for countries that aspire to move toward a sustainable future.
Why the report is inherently biased?
- The US placed itself at the 20th spot of the 22 wealthy democracies in the global west and 43rd overall.
- The relatively low ranking has put all blame on the rollback policies during the Trump administration.
- It goes on to preach that developing countries do not have to sacrifice sustainability for economic security.