From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Mount Nyiragongo
Mains level : Not Much
Thousands have fled a volcanic eruption in the Democratic Republic of Congo from Mount Nyiragongo on the outskirts of Goma City.
These were some volcanoes in news this year:
- Mount Nyiragongo is an active stratovolcano with an elevation of 3,470 m (11,385 ft) in the Virunga Mountains associated with the Albertine Rift.
- The main crater is about 2km wide and usually contains a lava lake.
- The crater presently has two distinct cooled lava benches within the crater walls.
- It is one of the 16 Decade Volcanoes.
- Nyiragongo’s lava lake has at times been the most voluminous known lava lake in recent history. The depth of the lava lake varies considerably.
- Nyiragongo and nearby Nyamuragira are together responsible for 40 percent of Africa’s historical volcanic eruptions.
Answer this PYQ in the comment box:
Q.Which of the following adds/add carbon dioxide to the carbon cycle on the planet Earth?
- Volcanic action
- Decay of organic matter
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1, 2 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
What are Decade Volcanoes?
- The Decade Volcanoes are 16 volcanoes identified by the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI).
- They are considered worthy of particular study in light of their history of large, destructive eruptions and proximity to densely populated areas.
- They are named Decade Volcanoes because the project was initiated in the 1990s as part of the United Nations-sponsored International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction.