From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : E-Shram Portal
Mains level : Welfare of the unorganized workers
Every third informal sector worker in India is now registered on the e-Shram portal with registration on the portal crossing the 14 crore mark in four months.
About E-Shram Portal
- The Ministry of Labour and Employment has launched the E-Shram Portal for creating a National Database of Unorganized Workers (NDUW) this year.
- The E-Shram portal will cover all unorganised workers of the nation and help link them to social security schemes of the Government of India.
- Aadhaar with mobile number linked is mandatory for the registration.
Category of unorganized workers covered:
- Construction Worker
- Migrant Worker
- Gig & Platform Worker
- Street Vendor Worker
- Agriculture Worker
Broad objectives of this portal
- Creation of a centralized database of all unorganized workers (UWs)
- To improve the implementation efficiency of the social security services for the unorganized workers
- Integration of Social Security Schemes meant for UWs being administered by MoLE and subsequently, those run by other ministries as well
- Portability of the social security and welfare benefits to the migrant and construction workers
- Providing a comprehensive database to Central and State Governments for tackling any National Crises like COVID-19 in future
Benefits of registration
- Under the scheme, Rs 2.0 Lakh Accidental Insurance cover will be provided to every registered (on E-Shram portal) unorganized worker.
- Every registered unorganized worker shall be issued an E- Shram card with a unique Universal Account Number (UAN).
- He/She will be able to access the benefits of the various social security schemes through this Card anywhere anytime.
Who can register on this Portal?
Any individual satisfying the following conditions can register on the portal:
- An unorganized worker (UW).
- Age should be between 16-59 years.
- Not a member of EPFO/ESIC or NPS (Govt. funded)
What is required for registration?
Following is required to register on the portal:
- Aadhaar Number
- Mobile number linked with Aadhaar.
- Savings Bank Account Number with IFSC code
Registrations done so far
- The latest data of the portal shows that the top five States in terms of number of registrations on e-Shram are U.P., West Bengal, Bihar, Odisha and Jharkhand.
- Gender analysis of the data shows that 52.56% are female while 47.44% are male.
- The data show that 42.64% of the registered workers are other backward classes (OBC) followed by 26.45% from general category, 22.54% from the scheduled caste and 8.38% from the Scheduled Tribe.
- It also show that over 94% registered workers’ income is ₹10,000 per month or below while over 4% have income in the rage of ₹10,000 to ₹15,000 per month.
- About 51% workers are farm laborers, 11% in construction, 10% in domestic and household work and 6.5% in the apparel segment.
UPSC 2022 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)